Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sparkledust*

The creativity is back and the inspiration is a little girl who is turning six.  This particular little girl has a great imagination and many interests, including gladiators.

She watches the show Spartacus with her parents and, one day, her dad went outside and found her beating up a post with two plastic wiffle ball bats.  He asked her, "Hey, what are you doing?"
"Fighting Crixsus," she answered.
"Oh, okay." replied her father and continued walking.

That was awesome.  I love that story and can picture her wailing away at that post.  So for her birthday I decided to make her her very own Spartacus outfit.  Except with modification because dudes, she's a kid.  I will not have her running around in some crazy diaper type thing.

I browsed around for a historical pattern or some kind of pattern, costume, etc. that is available for sale.  Nothing.  So I knew the moment had come.  I had to design something myself.  Now, this is a goal of mine and yes I've designed home items, but never really an article of clothing.  I asked her dad what size clothes she currently wears, looked up the measurements, then designed a simple tunic pattern.  Here's the end result of the tunic.


Now I have to make the belt and some upper body armor.  And Charlie must buy swords.  Then she will be ready to kick gladiator butt.  However just to be on the safe side there is a Hello Kitty gift as back up.


*I refer to Spartacus as Sparkledust because there was an episode where he was painted completely gold and sparkly.

No comments: