Friday, September 28, 2012

Mama Gunn

Hey, remember the jacket?


Yeah I would have loved to forget about it too.  Everything was going along great.  At the end of this post I had the front and back together.  The pockets were even lined.  Everything was going great until I got the the part where I had to connect the back facing and collar and lining and wha???  Mind you these are all things that I've done before but for some reason I just couldn't wrap my head around the pattern instructions.  On closer look at the pattern I realized the company that manufactures this particular coat pattern is Simplicity.  What a deceptive name for a pattern company.  Their methods for assembling garments are idiotic.  It took a collective brain trust led by my personal Tim Gunn (my mom, she who can "make it work") to finally get everything sorted out with the facing.  After that I finished the jacket with no problems.








As you can see I'm particularly proud of the lining.  So much so in fact that I neglected to take a picture of the RIGHT SIDE of the finished jacket.  I'll be sure to get a picture once I start wearing it which should be soon since autumn has finally arrived.  Hallelujah!  Like many people this is my favorite season and there's no place better to enjoy it than the northeastern part of the U.S.  I love living here.

After finishing the jacket I started making a dress and was once again stumped when I started working on the collar.  Guess what?  It was another Simplicity pattern.  NEVER AGAIN.  My sewing mojo is currently on hiatus so I have no idea what I'll be working on next, except for a commissioned piece.  And Happy Get Marry.  And House Hunting.

No comments: