Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Vanity Project: Sanding Sucks

Veneer.  Removing veneer became the stuff of nightmares.  Sure the remover stuff worked wonders but the icky tar-like substance was gross.  I didn't even take pictures because I just wanted it DONE.  It was a three day battle, I kid you not.  I only used it on the top of the vanity bench and had to let the stuff sit and soak for 30 minutes before scraping it off with a putty knife.  Then I would wipe it down with warm water soapy water followed by a quick rubdown with a dry cloth.  Let it dry 24 hours and repeat until the veneer and varnish are removed.  This took three days.  THREE DAYS.  Three days to reach this.
You will notice in this photo that I already started the next painstaking process: sanding. 

Back in the day pre-MS sanding would not have been a problem.  Yeah hours with sandpaper isn't my idea of fun but I wouldn't have thought twice about it.  Now though there's more to consider.  I figured purchasing a sanding block was my best bet but I wanted to see how well the hand cramping would hold up.  Enter my pals at Home Depot.  No we're not really pals, they're just helpful.  For the most part.  If you find the right person.

All I wanted to do was try out a sanding block and see how the hands held up.  I go to the sandpaper aisle.  I push the little red call button.  The automated voice announces "customer needs assistance in the sandpaper aisle."  I wait.  Two guys eventually descend, one an older dude and one a young dude.  Young dude asks "what can I help you with?"  I begin telling him I'm refinishing a vanity and he interrupts me and launches into an explanation of sandpaper.

Holy.  Poop.

Really?  I am in the sandpaper aisle, moron.  I turn to older dude and my jaw is clenched.  Needless to say he helped me out.  Sanding block didn't work for me so he set me up with the right equipment and I returned home to sand.  And sand.  And sand.








THE END OF SANDING

Next:  Priming and Painting!

No comments: